Monday, April 10, 2017

Session 11 Follow Up

Dr. Shirley Johnson discussed the Pittsburgh Public Schools this week and also referenced statistics available online about the city's schools.

Your assignment this week has two parts.

1. Go online and find TWO statistics or facts related to Pittsburgh Public Schools (http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/). The statistics/facts that you choose should relate to a concern or question you had (or still have) about Pittsburgh's schools.

2. In the comment box below, please post your concern or question and the statistic/fact that you found, and briefly discuss how the statistic is related to your question or concern.

In class on April 17, we will use the information you post to guide a portion of the class. 

4 comments:

  1. The class size adjustments is something that I had curiosity in learning about since I could see many students that are eager to learn English and really need special attention and
    http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/Domain/1243

    I was looking for some fact related to teacher's support but I couldn't find. This is another concern of mine.I agree that the students should be in the spotlight, but the teachers cant'be put aside. I still didn't understand if the HS teachers have some special support to deal with the diversity they have in their classrooms.
    http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/domain/13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drawn to the Magnet school program.It seems to be interesting because it allows students to pursue their interest and goals.It is even more interesting to know that students who reside in the Pittsburgh school district can apply for it to attend. I wonder is it feasible to have students from different school to attend that program?

    The second information that appeals to me is Career and Technical education (CTE) where students do not have to wait until finishing high school to find out what they want to pursue in their lives. CTE students also earn workforce certifications. My only concern is does it cater to other skills and field other than Culinary Arts, Health Careers Technology, and RHVAC)? I believe there are more than these three careers and how do Pittsburgh school cater to students with different interest and career which is not in their list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to find out about two things; (1) what are the available opportunities for immigrant students after high school and especially the number that join college/universities which is expensive considering their poor background.(2) Professional development for teachers.
    The website provides an insight into these issues.There are a number of avenues that even immigrants can get funds to continue with their studies, though a very small number usually progress to college/university. Under college and career readiness-ways to pay for college and scholarships and grants, I could see a number of opportunities accessible to students. The most common however, is work study or other employment.
    On teachers professional development, teachers are given equal opportunities to develop through promotional activities and career ladder roles.These roles allow teachers to use their
    leadership skills and earn additional compensation while increasing learning for Pittsburgh students and their colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was concern about the best students of the schools. And I found the Gifted pilot program.
    If a child is identified as requiring gifted services, the parents are contacted and invited to attend the Gifted Individual Educational Plan (GIEP) meeting and signed for the student’s right to gifted educational services.A major aspect of the pilot program is that the gifted services are provided at the students’ home school.

    I appreciate the teachers works in the school. And school system have agood system to thanks the teachers through the web with link http://www.tinyurl.com/PPSTeachersMatter.

    ReplyDelete